Thursday, December 3, 2009

Day 13: Simplicity

Today is a little of a blur.  A good blur, but a blur none the less.

We attended the funeral of our sweet John this morning and were astounded, and yet not surprised, at the turn-out.  Talk about a loved man.  I think every major law enforcement agency within a 20 mile radius was represented there.  Not because they had to be, he was simply a security guard at Sparrow Hospital for 25 years, but because he made his mark on those around him.

Besides more processing on what legacy I would leave behind if the Lord chose to take me home today…I was newly thankful for the simplicity of my faith.

I’m thankful for relationship over religion.

I’m thankful for peace over anxiety.

I’m thankful for rest over works.

I’m thankful for the simplicity of the Gospel.

I’m thankful for raw praise and worship over lyrics I don’t understand.

I’m thankful for the profound simplicity of Jesus dying for my sins so I could spend eternal life with him…and not wondering whether I could do enough good works, utter enough religious words and attend church often enough to get my foot in the door of heaven.

I’m thankful for the peace that comes from knowing nothing I do could cause God to love me any more…or love me any less.

I’m thankful for the celebration of life versus the mourning of death.  Despite my heartache over our loss.

I’m thankful for the ability to fix my eyes on Jesus without the need to pay tribute to the woman who bore him, although I’m sure she was an amazing person.

I’m thankful for freedom and joy over stiff tradition.

I’m just plain ol’ thankful.

Jesus is my homeboy.

And I couldn’t imagine it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment