Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 39: A Michael Inspired Moment

We’re on our way to Grand Rapids, the sun is shining, the kids are happy, organic fruit sticks abound…it’s a beautiful thing. 

We’re excited for a few hours away as a family.

I look to the right and there’s this wild, hairy dude driving a complete junker of a truck with all sorts ridiculousness taped {yes, literally taped} to the moving vehicle.  I’m talking laundry baskets, a mattress, chairs, lamps, shelves, and a myriad of other less-than-quality items.  I cannot believe my eyes and scoff out loud.  This guy is the epitome of a hillbilly.  And my mind wanders further.  In less jovial, light-hearted places.  I quietly judge and sneer, in a nasty, self-righteous way.

As I start typing today’s journal {so like…now}, Joe is flipping through the stations and lands on one that strikes a chord in me. 

First I just laugh because it’s one of “those” songs – one that brings back fun memories of younger years and is scarily easy to belt the lyrics out to in a loud, head-bopping karaoke kinda way – and then I stop.  Hmm, interesting words.  I was just thinking about that.

I think this might be the first time God has ever spoken to my heart through Michael Jackson.  And I think I’m glad about that.  But I shouldn’t be.  If he could speak to Balaam the prophet through an ass {sorry, a donkey}, then hey…MJ’s not out of the question.

Don’t you just love our unusual, unorthodox, can’t-possibly-put-Him-in-a-box God?

So…the radio.

How profound are the words of Jackson in this one…”I’m starting with the {wo}man in the mirror…I’m asking him {her} to change his {her} ways…if you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make a change”.

What strikes me about this song, in this moment, is the fact that I had just been thinking about something that I need to work on as it started to play.

I have a mean-streak.  It doesn’t tend to rear it’s head with my friends and family as much as it does with complete strangers, without them having a clue.

I think mean things.  I judge.  I assume.  I joke.

And it struck me today how that must break the Father’s heart.  In the same way hearing someone say something negative about one of my kids, no matter how dreadful their behavior may be at the time, it hurts my heart. 

Every person alive is His creation, made in His image, the apple of His eye.  No, many {most, actually} do not behave in a way that reflects their Father, the fact remains…they are His.

And far too often I do not treat them as such.  While my actions are not necessarily unsavory, my thoughts often are.  And those can be just as destructive and damaging as the expression of those thoughts {maybe not to them directly…but to me, and to my heart}. 

I’m surrounded by people I wish would change.  I’m often put-off by the repulsive behavior of others.  I’m quick to point out their short-comings and can be so heartless when I see the painful consequences of foolish decisions being manifested in someone’s life.

But in the wise words of the late white-gloved, crotch-grabbing Jackson, change starts with me.

Just one of many things I sense will be under the knife this next year.  Surgery sucks.  But it is so incredibly vital.  While the removal of an apses can be painful, leaving it to fester causes much deeper damage and pain in the long-run. 

I want this ugly infection removed.

And it starts with taking a long, hard look in the mirror.

“Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor”.  Matthew 7:1-5 {The Message}

No comments:

Post a Comment