Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day 34, 35 and 36: Blurry

What a crazy few days it’s been.  Good.  And, sadly enough, not so good.  Bad, in fact.

Christmas eve day was fun, tying up loose ends, attending the Christmas eve service, reconnecting with a precious friend, enjoying dessert {cheese ball} and coffee {tea} at my big sister’s house, joined by my mom-in-law and her husband (oh, how I admire my mum’s passion to include people and love on them}.  And as tradition would have it, we each opened one gift.

Christmas day was quite possibly the most unusual Christmas I’ve ever experienced. 

While it started off well, kids slept in, tea, muffins, cleaned dining-room and kitchen for lunch prep, lounged in living room and read the story in Luke of Jesus' birth {Ali even asked nana to please read more}, and proceeded to enjoy the gift-opening process.

We got a Wii for Christmas!!  From us.  {We were given a gift-card and scored a killer deal at Walmart, so we snagged one, wrapped it up and stuck it under the tree – at literally no cost to us, whoot whoot}.

Despite my best intentions, we did not make a birthday cake for Jesus.  There’s always next year, I suppose.

We were indoctrinated into the Wii community by a few games of Boom Blox Bash Party.

Cheesecake & Coffee {honey-based-carrot-cake & tea}.

Occasional naps on the couches once the kids were down.

We celebrated the arrival of new life {after a long awaited pregnancy of good friends of ours}, and we celebrated the news of more stunning, much anticipated life being created within the belly of yet another couple {well, just ‘hers’} we adore.  God is good!

And yet, throughout the day there were twinges of irritation, in people’s voices, in the looks they gave, in the argument that erupted after dark.  Something was just off this Christmas, and it broke my heart. 

While there are clearly distinct issues that need to be dealt with here – I don’t know one family who doesn’t have issues – it was simply a fierce reminder of how incredible my family truly is.  As this was a FOREIGN occurrence.  And how phenomenally thankful for this I am!  I hate conflict, and yet, in order to get the gigantic purple elephant out of the living room, I’m willing to dig in where needed.

Still.  It breaks my heart.  Because It was Christmas, for Pete’s sake {who is Pete, any way?}.  And I hate conflict.

But, something good that has come out of this mess is the new-found compassion and protection I sense towards my mama.  When I heard her crying last night, I could no longer hold my tongue.

It’s as though someone else taking issue with her has triggered something deep within me and I just want to protect her and hug her and love her and speak ever so kindly to her.

Interesting, eh?

This Christmas was bittersweet.  And the fact that it was anything but 100% sweet has me reeling.  Argh.

God continues to challenge me and encourage me and stretch me out of my comfort zone.  And while I’m in the midst of working through some big family stuff right now, I’m choosing to believe that God has redemption and growth in store for even this frustrating situation.  He always does.

My heart is heavy at not having this issue resolved, but I need to wait on His timing, listen to His heart on the subject and speak when and how He directs.  And patience isn’t my strong point. 

Oh, how far we all have to go.  More growing.  Much more growing.

Good thing we’re family.  And good thing my fabulous family rocks my world.  And good thing God is so much bigger than my wonderful world. 

No doubt, we’re in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment